Friday, November 10, 2017

Laurentine Guidry

This photo is very special to me. It's one of only two pictures I have of me with my grandmother. I don't remember her very well. She died before I was two years old. In the photo I'm the baby on the right. The other baby is my cousin, Carl, who was born the day before me. The other children are my sister, Linda, on the left, then my cousin Jimmy, and on the right is my cousin, Barbara. We called her Maw Maw Guidroz.

Laurentine Angele' Guidry was my father's mother. She was the daughter of Alcide Guidry and Ida Prejean Guidry. She was born in Carencro, Lafayette Parish, Louisiana on March 13, 1901. 

She was one of ten siblings, eight boys and two girls. Her oldest sibling was a half brother, Arista Guidry. Her full siblings were Claude, Regis, Viateur, Josephine, Sidney, Artistille, David, and Rhule Guidry. The two girls, Josephine and Laurentine, were named after their grandfather, Joseph Laurent Prejean. 

Laurentine was bilingual - French and English - and could also read and write in both languages. She was educated at the catholic school in Carencro.

She married James Joseph Guidroz on December 20, 1920 at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Carencro. They were the parents of three sons - Ned, Albert, and Allen Guidroz.

Laurentine Guidry Guidroz, Linda Guidroz, Jeanelle Guidroz - I'm the baby.

.
The date of birth is incorrect on this prayer card, the death certificate, and her headstone. She was born on March 13, 1901, not 1902. The proof is on her baptismal certificate below. If you run across different names or dates for the same person or event in your research use common sense when deciding which is correct. This baptismal certificate was issued in 1901 with her mother giving the information. The death certificate and headstone information was given by her children 57 years later. Which one would you trust?


She is buried in the cemetery at  St. Peter's Catholic Church in Carencro, LA.


If you are related to Laurentine or any of her siblings, please leave a comment below and let me know how you are related. 

No comments:

Post a Comment